Monday, November 01, 2004

Word War

se man tic (sa man' tik) a. pert. to meaning of words. -s

This is what we've come to I guess. I don't know the origin, but it's end is no where in sight. It's the new pastime for His elect instead of reaching and loving. We get predisposed with the argument so that it leaves no time for application.

Did He really mean this or that? Was His life about that or this? This is what I believe and that's it!

Oh the joy of quiet reflection on the Word from old as compared to the study in the company of intolerance. I'm not asking for a plurastic approach to an absolute truth, but merely a little levity in considering truths to be mined from the inerrent Word. I just don't tend to find myself as bold in the proclamation of meaning in all instances as some. I'm not really sure how one could be so egotistical. Conviction is one thing, but to the extent that it precludes all valid argument beyond discussion, appears to be unreasonable.

These experiences with secular pseudo-omniscience leave me cold, drained and definitely NOT looking forward to another battle. Others defer in silence to remain from the fray and I join them from time to time, but am unfortunately not allowed the convenience for long. I'm eventually pressed into service, not to right a wrong or settle a score, but preferably to interject a different possibility. After all, if I know what I believe and refuse to respond after prodding by the Spirit, I'm much the less for it.

Enough of the resounding gongs and clanging cymbals that sound of semantics...let love rule.

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Sadly, I think this is what we've come to. No one is open to discussion in a civil manner anymore. Hell, even the "open-minded" are intolerant. People seem afraid to stand up for something, all the while actually having some reason for their faith.

"I believe and I know it's true because I believe it" is just a weak-ass faith as far as I'm concerned. And, even if you can get into a discussion, most of the time, it just turns nasty, and they call you a Nazi.

I'm with you, man.

1:53 PM  
Blogger New Life said...

Right on brother. Right on! "You got to let love rule... let love rule."

Peace,
Rick

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home