Sunday, October 10, 2004

Saturday Night Live

We had our 2nd installment of the nite before and overall I thought that it went well. It was stripped down compared to the 1st, (due to lack of time for band prep) but it allowed for a more intimate service. The music was just James and his guitar, or at least that's all that I could see. It wasn't until now, when I sit and reflect on it all, that I realize that there was much more there than I had first realized.
The seats in the audience & sound booth held another 12 souls which is something that would disappoint some, but it didn't matter a bit to me. I'd be a liar if I said that this would not have bummed me out major just some 6 months ago, but not now. I met with the creator of the universe last nite and I wouldn't trade that for 120 folks in the house.
The difference between last nite and what's going to happen in way too many congregations across the country in the next few hours on Sunday morn is quite apparent to me now. It doesn't have to do with style, taste or appearance, even though all of these will be vastly different and most folks will swear this makes the difference, but I know better. The contrast is and should be evident to all, but most may never know it. I know that I mechanically worshiped the Father for far to long to just now realize what it means to hold Him in my gaze and leave amazed at His wonder.
More important than my pleasure about the experience, is His pleasure in our offerings from the service. The plate never passed, but I can tell you that sacrifice was brought into the storehouse of the Lord last nite. David tells us that the sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, and that He will not despise. I believe that our worship leaders showed us the way with contrite hearts that only aimed at pleasing our Father. You can't expect to lead people to a place in worship that you've never been before, so I was thankful for 2 who had very apparently traveled our road of journey previously.
This service could become robotic and meaningless like so many others have, but I somehow doubt it. Personally, I believe that God's got big plans for this thing, if we'd be faithful and let Him lead us. May we always offer our bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to Him--for this is our spiritual act of worship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home