Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Older Woman

Ever feel like dropping church? I mean what is church anyways? Would I really be in the wrong for dropping an aged and decrepit lady that's lost her way? She often times feels like an old girl who once was vibrant and alive, but is now relegated to the nursing home life of sitting idly by in soiled diapers while the world passes her by. Surely my unlimited abilities of rationalization can get me out of her company while serving my own interests in a wide world that appears alive and ready for engagement.

I had been doing a lot of down time thinking about the Christ and whether or not it be unfit to call Him homeboy or not. If He truly is, how could He be offended by a modern day reckoning of the very words that He told the 12? "You are my friends, if you do what I command you." Friends, friends...hmh...maybe Jars puts this struggle into better focus by their lyrics from Love Song for A Savior...

It seems too easy to call you "Savior",
Not close enough to call you "God"
So as I sit and think of words I can mention
to show my devotion

"I want to fall in love with You"

"my heart beats for You"

...maybe not...maybe so...I don't know. I look deeper into the original text of John 15:14 and am surprised by what I find. Maybe it's time to break out the depends and head to the home after what I found. The word philos, which is what Jesus uses here has 4 possible meanings:

1) friend, to be friendly to one, wish him well

a) a friend
b) an associate
c) he who associates familiarly with one, a companion
d) one of the bridegroom's friends who on his behalf asked the hand of the bride and rendered him various services in closing the marriage and celebrating the nuptials


Option d of course hits me like a ton of bricks, especially in light of our attending a wedding of good friends last night. If I'm His friend, homeboy or whatever, I'm to attend to this majestic madam, soiled or not, until He makes good on His promise to return for us. He not only requests it, He expects it. I'm His proxy here until further notice.

Maybe my new motto will be akin to the quote I saw recently. When asked what is the most embarrassing thing about church today, several preachers gave long soliloquies and explanations. When the husband of this particular poster's turn came, he simple said "my name."

2 Comments:

Blogger New Life said...

Right on brother, that was good. Falling in love with God... Jesus my brother, my Lord, my friend...

Peace,
Rick

10:27 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

No matter what, man, Jesus expects us to be in this thing for the long haul. In other words, you bes' learn to love older women...

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home