Monday, August 30, 2004

Decompartmentalization

Anybody move lately? I know that most of us have had to have move at some point in the past. You know the senario...living out of boxes, can't find anything, etc. etc...what a pain. I've recently experienced this without ever leaving, well, at least not in the physical sense.
I packed up and moved a little over a year ago. It was not on my own accord though. It sorta just happened. It all started with the graduation of last year's high school seniors at our church. With this they were promoted to my class and were now my responsibility. Several of the guys had interest in studying medicine at the time and with my big mouth, I obligated myself to help them in their pursuit of their goals. Working at a local hospital I felt it my duty to try and get these young men jobs in the business to help further these budding careers. One got on at a competing hospital through a connection of mine and the other landed a tech job at the pharmacy that I worked. Then the realization of my idiotic actions dawned on me. Jb, who was then gainfully employed at my place of business had full privy to my 'work life.' His presence was surely going to force me into a place of accountability. A place where I'd never wanted to be before and was not very sure about going now. I had to examine my work life constantly to see if it matched my church one.
Jb was a real gas at work. He not only is there to put an end to my double entendre, innuendo and fun but he also proceeds in telling everyone and I mean EVERYONE that I'm his sunday school teacher. Now the cats really out of the proverbial bag. Now everyone nows that I'm not only supposed to be a man of my word, but also a man of the Word. This is a disaster. This is possibly the worst thing that could have happened to me and very much assuredly the best.
You see, it forced me to move. I moved from the neighborhood of easy religious living into the neighborhood where accountability reigns through relationship. With the move came the unpacking. I had to unpack my pseudo-religious practices of Sunday morn and replace it with authentic relational living that never stops. I had to toss quasi-doctrine of righteous living and replace it with a transparent life that reverberates the Reason. I had to take my life down to the very core which is Christ and rebuild from the Foundation up. He had never left me, it was just that I'd lost Him among all the boxes. I had my Sunday life and then I had my Monday through Friday life, and never did the two cross until then. Oh that I'd gotten Jb on at West Florida! Nothing would have ever changed...my life would have contiued to be a sham.
Through this all I've discovered something pretty amazing. I have passion. I have passion for Him. He forces me to write this now. He forces me to think about black shirts with skulls on them. He forces me to fall deeper in love with Him. He forces me to breakdown everything in my life and examine it and if it doesn't fit, toss it. I never thought breaking down boxes could be such an amazing experience. How bout you? Ready for a move?

1 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

You know what's funny, friend? You caused for the same change in me...

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home