Friday, August 27, 2004

Wax-filled Ears

I heard it again today. The still small voice that makes your ears perk up. The one that seemingly comes out of nowhere and gives you pause if you ever are fortunate enough to hear it. For many years my ears were wax-filled and very incapable of hearing it, even though it's been there all along. I'm glad I finally have come to a place in my life where I let Him apply the holy debrox that allows for such discerning listening if I'm just able to shut my pie hole long enough to hear it.
It happened while I was reading the paper this morning. I was reading the article on "The Juice" and how he claimed 200m bronze. His cousin Micah quoted him as saying how he's satisfied to run a good race & not worried about the other competitors and if he wins. Here's where the voice pipes up and says..."don't worry about the others son, I've called you to run and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter what they think about dw or if they ever want to support it's efforts by contributing a blog or whatever. It doesn't matter that they think it too dark, too foreboding or appears satanic...I've called you to run My race and you're already a winner to do so."
I flip a few pages over to where Charlie has written about being judgmental of a whole people group based on the actions of a few. He ends it with some babble about lighting a candle instead of cursing the darkness. Again the murmur arises..."I've called you to shine your light in some dark places my boy. This is what this is all about...it's never been about shining it in the comfortable serenity of an already well lit arena...what's 1 more light amongst 572 already blazing lamps? What purpose does this light have and what does it add to the already existing brightness? I've called you to the back alleys, pits and other hidden places in My creation that may never receive My light unless you bring it. So, quit your whining already and just bring it...bring Me.
I sojourn a bit further and again it happens. Ma$e is asked about how his new music fits with his religious message. He replies, "People have it misconstrued. I mean, I'm not religious. That's the biggest folly right there. I'm not religious. I hate religion. Religion kills people. What I have is a personal relationship with God." Still more murmur..." did you catch it? Where you listening? I had him say it twice just for good measure. I haven't called you for religious reasons as so many would cop out by saying...I've called you for relationship and for all the reasons that that brings. I see your relationships and how pitiful they are...with your family, your friends, your co-workers and most of all with Me. I've called you to refine all of these by refining the only 1 that really matters. That's what matters to Me. That's your purpose, the purpose of dw and moreover the purpose of all my children..."
Then it was gone. I've tried to express these words as intently as they were spoken to me, but I fear that I may have failed to do so. Please don't hold my shortcomings against Him. He doesn't deserve disdain for the failure of His servant, but too often it happens that way. Try to see beyond my failings into the One that pushes me to try once again. How's your hearing? There's plenty of debrox to go around...

1 Comments:

Blogger KENNY said...

Well, this is pretty amazing. I stumbled upon this blog randomly and I've been greatly concerned about my literal 'hearing' lately as well as my spiritual life. This came as a great encouragement for both. I was told 'not to worry' about my literal hearing, and this serves as confirmation.

Of course you'll see trials for living the life of a servant. That only serves as further indication that you're doing exactly the right thing, so, congratulations, and thanks for the debrox today.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home