Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Comfort in Contradiction

I guess sometimes we've just got to agree to disagree. I know it's cliche' but a guess the only reason some things become cliche' is because they're actually true. I was working out today and doing my reading when I happened upon the following words..."The Passion struck me as unhelpful and unhealthy in many ways--providing only a very flimsy context for the life of Jesus, suggesting that violence is somehow good, and that His death matters because it was a really nasty one." This was found in a christian magazine and was written by an academic, freelance writer and research consultant with specialties in religion, film and post-modern culture among other things. Don't get me wrong or tune me out here because here is not where I condemn this text under the guise of being non-christian, against God or unrealistic even though that's what my natural reaction would normally be. I would defend the right of this guy to say these things to the end, I just don't agree with any of it.
After viewing the work for a 3rd time today, my opinion of it remains. It is as it was (to borrow a line from the Pope) the first time that I saw it and it hasn't lessened since. At times I wish that I could watch this every morning before my day begins to remind me of what happened some 2000 years ago and other times I wish that I'd never seen this thing. To me this film is the epitome of the journey. From the actions that birthed the most horrific event in the course of mankind also came the most beautiful. From the most devastating occurrence rises the breathtaking story of eternal redemption. Ultimate triumph is displayed through an unbelievable tragedy. It all depends on your point of view.
To me life seems to be the same way. Filled with contradiction and paradox this thing that we call christianity, or life for that matter, never makes sense from the earthly perspective. I mean, come on, men getting swallowed by whales, worldwide floods, parting of seas, the earth swallowing people, swimming ax heads, etc. etc., and that's not even getting into the New Testament! It doesn't end with the book though. Look at all the terrible things happening in our world today. Look and see how baby's are killed by drunk drivers that walk away, cancer ridden patients who have never touched cigarettes, said 1 curse word, cheated on their spouse or done anything else to deserve this death sentence still die. Gaze further and see how those that cheat, steal and maybe even kill (OJ) get off or even get ahead. It's all about perspective.
You can look at the film and see glorified violence, anti-semitism and perhaps a very flimsy context for the life of Jesus, but I see something more. I see the Bread of Life high and lifted up, broken for you and me. I see the blood that was poured out for many which is of the covenant and of which, must be drunk to abide in Him and be raised on the last day. I'm sure not all would agree, but I find comfort in my discomfort over these things as it helps with other glaring contradiction in my life and with the journey in general. Finding comfort in contradiction and peace in paradox is what I've experienced and I'm confident that that's the providential view...but, I could be wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home