Monday, December 05, 2005

10 Years

I saw Tyler for the 1st time in a long time the other day. Man has he grown. I wondered where his dad was.

There you stood in disbelief,
trying all you could to see through these lies
And every word that I could breathe,
would find you more inclined to leave, but I tried
And knowing what I've done to you,
with every thought you suffer through
My heart as black as evil can
And everything I could have been,
erased by what I wanted then
I couldn't think a lesser man


I walked across the yard & saw her. Tyler's mom, Donnie's wife & my ex-neighbor was there talking to my current neighbors. When I got close enough, all I could do was embrace her & beg her forgiveness.

All the delicate ways
That I deepened our graves
My apology pales
Oh, the pain in your eyes
My regrets have never known such sorrow
Oh, the shame that you hide
Resolutions are the same tomorrow


She told me that she didn't understand the sentencing, but knew that he wasn't going to be home anytime soon. He's got 10 years. I do the math as I stand in the driveway, what used to be their driveway, what should still be their driveway & realize that Tyler's now a fatherless child till he turns 17.

So now I reap what I have sewn, and any rapture I had shown has bled dry
And I walked the streets alone, accepting the pain I'd never known, as you died
Then I hurt myself to see it too, to feel the knife put in you
My heart as broken as my ways
I never should've let it pass, this fall was never meant to last
The reason gone and damage stays


I was just doing what I was told...
You're in the same profession...
Think of your family & separate yourself from this...
I didn't know what to say & hid myself away, rather than just offering the only thing that I could...
To simply be there...
Such a coward...
Such a fool...

My only hope now is in the regret that fuels the fire to seek out those hurting, regardless of why & to be...
I hope to visit Donnie in prison & to attempt to be what I should've long ago...
My how redemption moves so painfully slow...

10 years...

1 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

I feel sad for Tyler

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home