Thursday, November 24, 2005

Wet Willy...On The Road Again

The Jones have left us behind. I've never been happier to see them go. What a relief it is to know that we don't have to follow, keep up or try to stay ahead of that crowd.

Sure, the reasons make plausible sense from time to time, but that's just because of our unlimited capacity for reasoning & justification. We argue the point in our own minds that just about anything can & does become God's will or the right thing to do in our lives. Wrong becomes right, up becomes down & left becomes right...or is that wrong...when we attempt to make our frivolous wrongs right.

I don't mean to over dramatize things, but yesterday was a lesson in simplicity & being @ ease stepping out of the race w/the Jones. We tripped back to La. for thanksgiving w/the folks & family w/what turned out to be a 8hr journey on our hands. This was the 1st trip w/Lani, so our seating arrangements have changed somewhat since we last went anywhere.

Cam & Cassi (6 & 4) now ride up front w/me & Aly & Lani (2 & 2mo) ride in the back w/Amy. This new configuration left me wondering if I should get the extra monitor for the dvd player so the kids could watch movies on the go or not. I chose not & ended up having a great trip.

Rather than the kids, w/the latest & greatest in tech being able to zone out & not even realize that their parents were there on the journey w/them, we spent the whole time talking, singing, playing air instruments & exchanging wet willies. We had a blast regardless of the unbelievable traffic through Baton Rouge & the rest of SE La. Cam sat close enough for me to put 'em in a head lock & give 'em a few nuggies, which I did...often. I could easily tickle Cassi's ear w/my finger & goose her left shoulder, which I did...often. I could even reach behind me & tickle Aly from time to time, which I did...often.

By the time our destination drew near my conversations w/Cam consisted of the following:

Cam: Band?

Me: Fall Out Boy

Cam: Song?

Me: Sugar We're Goin' Down

Looking back on this Thanksgiving morn, I wouldn't trade those 8hrs for anything in this world. Sure, all the new tech & gadgets have a place, but it often seems that they're used to separate rather than to do anything else. Or they become the latest wares to brag to our Jones about to show that we're hip, keeping up or setting the curve.

If we all could just step back for a moment we would realize that we ride w/our Heavenly Father much akin to the way that Cam, Cassi, Aly & Lani rode with theirs yesterday. Are we focused on the interaction that is readily available to each & every one of us on this journey, or are we glued to the dvd, gameboy, ipod, whatever, that's in front of us that's only there to distract & separate? Put the tech down & let Dad give you a big ol' wet willie...it's a trip.

I've now got a audiovox portable dvd player for sale...

Any takers?

4 Comments:

Blogger jimmy said...

I was gonna get a video ipod and after discussing it with my wife we decided that I'd probably forget my children's names and go weeks without actual discussion. Instead we put the money into an air hockey table! It's become the social centerpiece of our home. We have such a good time hanging out together and yelling, laughing, and just having a good ole time together! It was a great decision.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

No thanks, my best conversations with my son are often in the car...which he is almost old enough to drive!

Glad to hear about your wonderful road trip.

Now an iPod is a different story...Jimmy, you can listen to an iPod WITH your family....I plug mine into the car. 2,500 great tunes :)

God bless you, Lee!!

12:20 AM  
Blogger New Life said...

Jimmy, hey man, we had an air hockey table as kids and all we did was fight. :)

Hey man, my computer crashed two weeks ago and I am ow on my new notebook that just arrived today.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family.

Your bud

8:23 PM  
Blogger Cam @ArcadiaTrails said...

I totally agree! I hate seeing DVD players in cars. I always think what family time they're missing out on!
Getting there (& back) is my favorite part.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home