Wednesday, November 09, 2005

'Ol Billy


I guess ol' Billy boy had it right all along when he said that the question was 'to be or not to be.' Those words have resonated in some places deep inside me today as I've thought about why people do the things that they do or why they don't do the things that they don't. It seems that they do or don't do whatever from a place that is either driven to be true & authentic to the nature instilled in them by the Almighty or is motivated to find solace in just being opposite that that they want most to be unlike.

I guess that the point is to be true to self at any & all cost & everything will have a way of finding a home in authenticity. If we don't learn this soon, we end up looking like or projecting something that is not necessarily us, but what we want others to see us as. The rebel or the renegade or whatever flavor of the weak becomes our masks as we look romantically to an ideal & think that we can capture it if we only wrap ourselves in the accompanying paraphernalia.

I look @ myself & see a plain white-bread cat w/no tats, piercings or whatever. It's not because I don't identify w/the feeling of wanting to take on the establishment & express my complete disdain for all that it's come to stand for, it's just that I realize now that it would be completely out of my character to do so. This hasn't stopped me from growing the occasional soulpatch or shaving my head a time or two, so I can't brag too much on my most glorious insights.

It's just that I see a lot & read a lot about contemporary, po-mo, mo, emerging, organic, hipster, cool, relevant, charismatic, spirit-filled, house, cyber or whatever type of churchs that integrate a lot of elements in the desire to reach people & that's great...but, @ what cost? Sometimes it just comes across as trying too hard to be something that it's not, which leads to all the authenticity of a street corner screaming, sign holder protesting, bible-thumping kjver w/an ounce of Christ's love in his/her heart. The intent started innocent enough, the final version however got lost in transit.

How much more effective could we all be in ministry if we chose 'to be' rather than 'not to be'? 'To be' exactly what God intended & wired us to be rather than 'not to be' what we see as wrong w/the church, christianity, spirituality or whatever. Choosing 'to be' whatever Christ has us to be rather than worrying if that's cool or relevant or hip. Truth be known, when we choose to truly 'be', we may never be cool or hip, but we will always be relevant.

I've had to come to grips w/what it means for me 'to be' lately as those close to me & those that think that they are have called me into question as to my call in this existence. In 1 sense this saddens me, but in another it lets me know that I'm being obedient above all else. I still listen to every word that comes my way, I just know that I've got to measure it up against the call 'to be' that's on my life.

So don't try too hard. Get real. Choose 'to be' rather than 'not to be'. That's the only way that you'll ever be capable of being used. Wear your hip shirts & jeans, grow that tired gottee & spike your hair, jamming out to all the Chris Tomlin that you can find...but only if that is what you are called 'to be'...

3 Comments:

Blogger Remnant Sons MC said...

I'll thank you not to call my goatee tired. besides, it covers all three of my chins.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

Lee, I've been missing out by not reading here more often. For a minute I thought that was you in the photo with the tats and I was kinda bummed that it wasn't. Not sure why, maybe cause I have a few.

Anyhow, awesome stuff here as usual!!!!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What has God called us to be?

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Luke 6:36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

2 Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.

James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

1 Peter 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

1 Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home