Monday, October 24, 2005

Under The 110

We spent yesterday afternoon under the 110 surronded by crackheads, bums, drunks, scene & hardcore kids. I thought that I was going to have to drag Amy out of the truck. She was pretty nervous to say the least & I can't blame her.

The day was beautiful. Our gathering was simplistic yet real. I'm still kinda taken back by the whole thing.

The Reverend Tyler Monk presided over the service and seemed to relate well to all in attendence. He's all of 21, yet has a passion for folks that's contagious. I met him afterwards & feel a need to help w/this ministry, but am yet to know how.

I keep thinking how I, @ 21, was only concerned about scroungin' up the $3 bucks for the next beer bust. I also think about all of our local churches & their wonderful services, programs & teachings & how they still may lack feet. I feel like I got feet in some 10-15 minutes under an overpass surrounded by what some would see as the scum of P'cola, while I may not have ever gotten them in untold years of traditional church attendence.

I'm not knocking any churches, especially those that I've attended in the past...

It's just that somethings have really been brought to light lately for me & perspectives have been gained in some most usual surroundings. Just goes to show you that His will may not be where you'd expect to find it nor carried out in the way that you'd think. I'm afraid I just let God out of the box...

3 Comments:

Blogger Gary Means said...

Wow. This is really inspiring. I went to Tyler's site. I bookmarked it and will go back. Thanks for sharing about this.

I feel God calling me to do more than rearrange the furniture when it comes to my faith. And He has a strange way of doing that. Like Mike Yaconelli said, "Jesus will ruin your life." I believe that's true if the definition of life is a safe, middle-class life, with an appearance of Christian faith that doesn't really touch the world in any signficant way. So, God is slowly, but steadily removing the satisfaction which comes from seeking comfort in lesser gods.

Reading about rev. tyler made my heart speed up a bit. Thanks for sharing about your experience.

7:38 PM  
Blogger New Life said...

Something happens to MY faith when I dare to go where Jesus walked. I am transformed. Amazing how that happens. I am happy to hear that you have bumped into something that has obviosuly been stirring in your soul for sometime. Notice where you heart is and where you feel close to God. I have noticed that it is with those on the outside and the fringe. You seem to want to touch places that so few are willing to go. So when you meet someone who is passionate about the same thing you are inspired. That's 'cuz you gots the same passion, I think.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Remnant Sons MC said...

cool stuff bro.
THE CHURCH is alive and well.

I for one, am done trying to gauge, temper, facilitate, change, manipulate, move, throw rocks at, dress up, dress down, and most of all make into my image.

ALL, I mean ALL, that Jesus is going to do on this Earth will be done through THE CHURCH for the Glory of the Father.

She is beautiful.
She is dated.
She is Powerful.
She is week.
She is a whore, but she is my Mother. (Augustine)

We cannot work against Her.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home