Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Relative Rat = Hero?

I wrote some time ago a piece about the apparent ties of relativism that seems to have become attached to our convictions and decision making process. While I still hold fast to Absolute Truth & all the it stands for, I still wrestle w/perspective most of the time. Today brings just more of the same as I read the PNJ & wondered if anybody else thought the same...



The article was on Joseph Darby & his being lauded for reporting the abuse & atrocities being committed @ Abu Ghraib. I wonder if I'd had the guts to do the same. I wonder if the thought would even cross my mind to there being anything wrong here. I wonder if I'd attribute the goings on to the situation/war/whatever & that desperate times would call for desperate measures.

I wonder...

I also sit & come to realize the ease w/which many call judgment from afar. The perspective has got to be completely different as I sit in sunny Pace, Fl rather than across the bars from so many seen as my mortal enemy, potential/possible terrorist or better yet the murderer of my fellow countrymen & rapist of a nation's, mine & more importantly my children's innocence.


So from what perspective of relativism do you view Joseph? A hero that deserves our praise & admiration or a rat, that by breaking the chain of command, deserves the death threats & home vandalization that he's gotten? Did he do 'what he thought was right & it was right?' or not?

Better yet, would/could/do we?



1 Comments:

Blogger Benji said...

I'm actually pretty upset about this guy and what he is "reporting"; I think it's inflammatory and in some cases has been proven inaccurate - if you consider that this type of reporting during a time of conflict is demoralizing to the American armed forces, encouraging to the terrorists that wish to cause us harm, makes our military and leadership look like a bunch of amateurs and some say should be considered as an act of sedition, which is punishable by death in many countries...including ours, I think.

If you consider that this same reporter wrote and published a story thru Newsweek in which he said that American interrogation officers had "threatened to flush the Koran down a toilet and in one case had done so" - and only after this story raised hell, almost caused a worldwide Jihad by the Islamic nation and 17 people were killed during riots - did Newsweek and the "journalist" throw out a retraction saying that they had not been able to confirm anything about that story.

Meaning that for all intents and purposes; the story was a bold faced lie.

Because of this "journalists" fictional story 17 people are dead.
This gives me pause and reason to reconsider everything that I read in nationally syndicated magazines seeking higher ratings and outrageous stories.

Did he do right by him? Yes, he got paid.
Did he do the right thing morally? Questionable, I don't think he had morals in mind.
Did he do the right thing ethically? I don't believe so, war is war is war.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home