Friday, May 13, 2005

Evangelism: The New Unministry?

I've got to be the biggest flake in the world. Unofficially of course, because all the votes have yet to be tallied. I still think that it's a forgone conclusion though. I'll try & set the stage for you & let you decide...

It's Wednesday Night & we've got our regular bi-weekly leadership meeting with our pastor. It had been some time since I'd been able to attend, so the format had changed, which I was informed of. No prob, so far.

It works something like this. Each person is asked by the pastor what his or her needs of prayer are in their particular ministry area. We then respond with something that is hopefully coherent & shows that we are somewhat competent.

Coherent & competent...not 2 words that I would readily associate with the utterances that dropped out of my pie-hole.

I had just got through reading
Dan Haseltine's latest in Relevant & had this prevailing theme running through my mind. The idea of the unstory & Napoleon Dynamite & how do we relate story to this generation that is not interested in THE STORY or any story for that matter.



So I begin...& the looks that I got were priceless. I think I may have been able to make more sense if I were high on crack. It didn't help matters when I had to ask what my ministry was. All I could think about was how this ministry is the new unministry. How we don't meet at any set time, but we meet all the time. How we don't have any set agenda, but our entire being is agenda. How we evangelize none of the time, but all the time.

So what do I say that we prayer for or about? How about that we would be a people that preaches the gospel at all times & sometimes...if necessary, we use words. How about being of such cognizance, that in all we do, we do as unto the Lord? How about thirsting after discernment that would allow us to see where the Spirit precedes & merely showing up after He's prepared the way?

I know...sounds like a cop out. Kinda feels that way too. I don't think that there's any other way though...

I still call & write letters to all of our visitors & go see them, if they're open to it...what else can/should be done?

Until I know better, I guess that I'll keep up w/the unministry...

5 Comments:

Blogger Remnant Sons MC said...

The Voices inside my head tell me to welcome you. We have been waiting.

Now that you are here, doing un-ministry will be more understandable, tolerable and mostly more fun...at least to me.

there have been many membership drives, but few have the onions to leave what they know.

now that I have left, it all makes more sense. after all..."you gotta be in it to win it."

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Unministry???" It sounds like to me you are defining a "MINISTRY!" Be very careful of letting others perceptions become your reality. GO! SEEK! FIND!! whose words are those? How do you do this if you aren't out there and looking all the time? Let me show my ignorance here - how many did Jesus heal spiritually in the temple vs those on the road side?

High on crack, who in the Bible was accused of being drunk? My humble suggestion is that you get out there drunk or high on the Lord Jesus Christ and help those in need pass through the eye of the needle not continue through the wide gate.

You know I love you and lift you and this "unministry" up many times throughout the day and night.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read Amy's post of May 9th:

I think this captures your desire to define your "unministry." You need to quote some of that to the group next time you are asked to describe this ministry.

Everyone can understand Sweet Dreams!

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2Ti 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

8:00 AM  
Blogger jimmy said...

bro... I LOVE your definition of ministry!

"we don't meet at any set time,
but we meet all the time...
we don't have any set agenda,
but our entire being is agenda...
we evangelize none of the time,
but all the time..."

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home