Monday, March 07, 2005

Brother Benny

I've always heard that you've got to be careful what you let your kids watch on tv & after last nite I know this to be true. What were the vile, mind-warping acts of perversion that invaded our home via the idiot box you ask? Could it have been a pg-13, or heaven forbid, r-rated piece of garbage produced by the very capable hands of hollyweird? Or maybe it was some filth from those MTV people, who all good God-fearing people know are sent straight from the bowels of hell to drag as many as will watch down with them...

Actually, it was none of the above. The guilty party here was dateline, although I don't blame them, for their role was one of educator/investigator of sorts. The effect was still the same.

I really didn't think much of it at first. That is until Cam decided to show me what he'd learned from watching. Now I sit & type & pray that this isn't 1 of those things that decides to stick, as odd things remembered often due, and that he hasn't been permanently warped.

He got my attention and told me that this was to show how much he loved Jesus. He placed his little arms by his sides, closed his eyes and fell back on the sofa as if he were dead. I know that this idea was originally placed in his head from an exercise in s.s., but it was reinforced in a totally unrelated way to the original meaning & context by what he saw on the tube this nite.

I may be over reacting, but I wasn't too thrilled at the display. It's really got my head spinning & I fear for my kids future enough without this element being introduced. The task of raising good kids was daunting enough without this new subversive threat.

I've never allowed my kids to watch too much stuff unsupervised, so this point may be moot, but I'm not so sure that I wouldn't rather them watching MTV now than TBN. For some reason, it just seems to me that it's easier to change wrong thinking on just about anything/everything else save for God. I may be wrong about this, but for some reason, I don't think so.

My ideals of God have seem to be entrenched deep, rooted within my very being, and whether they be right or wrong, these have been the last/hardest for me to even think about changing or at least to be unbiased about. This is why I feel so adamant about my kids receiving proper teaching and seeing God as honestly as they can understand Him. Whatever they see God as from me is paramount to the God they see throughout the rest of their life...this is heavy...millstone heavy!

I guess regardless of what they see or hear, the important aspect is for Amy & I to be there with them. So break out the grease-corn, MTV & let 'er rip...& for those of you still wondering...




Better to wear a millstone necklace and take a swim in the deep blue sea than give even one of these dear little ones a hard time!

3 Comments:

Blogger Remnant Sons MC said...

good news bro...

our kids learn from us...the God of glory they will come to know will be taught to them by you.

however, they will from time to time emmulate what they see from others.

when it is all said and done, the God you teach will be the one they choose to follow.

6:26 AM  
Blogger New Life said...

Oh brother Benny. Hmmm... sadly he has probably negatively influenced more elderly and sick people than children. I suspect that your children will see the way you love them and their mother and they will recognize Christ there.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Cam @ArcadiaTrails said...

Amen. "I want my MTV!", especially if TBN is the alternative.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home