Sunday, October 02, 2005

Acceptance

I went to our town meeting this past Friday night. Some were there for the intended purpose, while others were there w/other motives in mind. They were there from all different walks of life & I could help but wonder why some were even there at all.


I hope to shy away from being judgmental here, because how can 1 really know the reasons & motives of another? I mean really. I'd hope to not ever be that presumptuous, but I know that I have in the past at least once or twice or a million times or so.


Even though the surface told of many different reasons as to why folks were there, I'm sure that all shared in at least the smallest bit of the primal reason for all to be there. What else brings the jocks, the cheerleaders, the geeks, the nerds, the punks, the old, the young, the misguided, the popular, the rich or the poor out but for communion & a sense of belonging? There can be no other reason than this.


I started thinking about this soon after I saw him. His hair was long & black. He had at least 1 visible piercing & dressed in all black. He wore these pants that most have had 2 or 3 hundred straps hanging from metal loops, but I'm still not really sure of the purpose.


My mind tried to process the scene as I watched him stroll by on the track. I couldn't help thinking to myself what in the hell is this dude doing here? It's not that I minded his presence, it's just that he seemed about as fitting as a square peg in a round hole.


I could be very wrong in this, but everything about Friday night @ a high school football game seems contrary to the very nature of 1 that dresses this way. So I'm left trying to sort out why 1 is present @ an event that seems the very antithesis of their being. All I can think of is the need to belong.

We all have a sense to belong to something greater than ourselves at 1 level or another. Even if that something appears to be that which we'd abhor or be the exact opposite us, we are compelled. We are compelled by acceptance.

Acceptance is the belief in something.

Could there be a more compelling picture of the Almighty than that of authentic community? After all that is who He is isn't? Genuine community believes in the something in each other that binds them together in relationship w/belief in the greatest Something of all.

Maybe that is what inspires thought of a kid in black @ the stadium on a Friday night. I'd like to think so. My hope is that I know so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

Hey Lee, Just read the comment you left at Rick's and it made me really sad so I came over to check you out (it's been a while). Seeing this kid at a football game reminds me of my own son. A few years ago he needed to be different yet wanted to be accepted. It was a tough time for him. I allowed him to get his ears pierced and stretched (3 in each ear) and he was VERY different for his age, but not very accepted. We both learned that God loves us no matter how many holes we have in our head, but some poople will always judge a book by it's cover.

sometimes people dress or look a certain way to say "hey, notice me I am a unique indicidual" but at the same time they are saying "people are judging me for my looks not the real me"

Both are true. I want to be one of those peopel who looks beond the peircings, tattoos, wild hair and different styles and sees that basic human need for love and acceptance that we all have - if we admit it or not.

Hope this makes sense!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Remnant Sons MC said...

yea, I miss the ole Pace town meetings. Stood on the sidelines for 2 years as chaplain. it was awesome.

the community deal is good there. all having something in common. at least on the surface.

it is when we get beyond the stands that we see the foundation.

I remember when pace played milton one year. the adult fans actually booed the milton players when they came on the field.

I was proud to be part of that...

great memories of many meetings there bro. wish we could attend one together.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home