Monday, September 19, 2005

Spiritual Daredevil


Cam & read comics. Well, I read them, he listens & then he re-enacts the actions w/his action figures. To date we've read over 1000 books & have managed to cover the essentials from the 1st editions of Spider-Man, Daredevil & the Hulk.

Lately we've been reading a mini-arc of 5 books that pit the Punisher vs. the Daredevil. I've never really been a confrontational type, but for some reason I've always liked reading about it, especially when it comes to fantasy & the confrontations between immovable objects & irresistible forces. I believe ol' Cam shares the same sentiments as his old man.

The interesting thing about this story is that it parallels some things that I've turned over in my mind as of late. At the core is justice & the dispensing thereof. Punisher & Daredevil both have ideals for the redemption of Hell's Kitchen, but are on paths that put them diametrically opposite each other & on a collision course of inevitability. Odd how 2 can have the same goal, but have paths that lead them contrary to the other forming perpendiculars rather than parallels.

For those of you not familiar, I'll give you the quick & dirty. Punisher is a vigilante, whose sole purpose in life is to be the 1 in charge of dispensing punishment at his own discretion of whom he deems to be in the wrong. DD also longs for justice, but tends to allow the system to attempt to serve it's purpose in the role of judge & the deliverer of sentencing. Guess that this is only right 'cause you see, as DD can't, his secret identity is Matt Murdock, public defender who just happens to be blind.

DD has just as much, if not more, ability to play the same role as the Punisher, but yet choices to yield to something bigger than himself. He fights & longs for the same things, noble things, great things, yet knows his role & controls the very fleshy longing for his own sense of justice. Reminds me of the ideal of meekness that I once heard to describe another. Not 1 of being weak, but rather submissive.

I know that we all long for redemption. Birthing pains abound, but yet that calls all the more for proper constraint. My flesh longs to where the black shirt w/the skull. My spirit is quickened to be a Daredevil...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home