Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Bumpers Distance

I was thinking of cars on my commute home yesterday. How we all move in the same veins & arteries of the organism that is the city, but we don't ever really acknowledge each other besides who may be getting our spot at the light or who may be imposing there will through their wheels on ours.

I thought how even after we arrive at our appointed destinations, that we never really get out of our cars. Sure, we may roll down the window & appear as if we've invested something in another by dropping the volume a tad, but have we really? Or are we oblivious to our suv shaped attire that keeps the rest of humanity at a bumpers distance?

What idiots we are! How ashamed I am at my very ignorance. I've done nothing but run on & on about genuine authenticity & the importance of community, all the while I sit in my Avy w/1 finger on the xm radio volume & the other on the wheel.

Somebody cut me off w/verbiage unbecoming? No problem...I just hit the nob/gas/wheel/window & they're nothing but distant specks dancing in my rearview. Another sit across the intersection giving token credence w/hardly cracked windows & obvious indifference given wings by alpine? Fine...I'm comforted by knowing that the light's not red forever.

Unfortunately or fortunately for me, I've been praying for more wrecks lately. Maybe, just maybe, the sounds of screeching tires, crunching metal &/or shattering glass could/would jar us from our all too precious commute. That is, just long enough for us to make it back to the dealer...

even now
the world is bleedin'
but feelin' just fine
all numb in our castle
where we're always free to choose
never free enough to find
i wish somethin' would break
cuz we're runnin' out of time

3 Comments:

Blogger New Life said...

Sometimes I am too afraid to lower my window, I am afraid of what I may say. This was a good post. It reminds me that I lost in my world and how dare anyone get in MY way.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Remnant Sons MC said...

funny. but for me, I look for people to talk to. I go out of my way each day to speak to some one, to give them a smile and an encouraging word.

but when i get home...I sometimes feel like I am done. I shut myself up in my cave and cringe when i have to go back out.

I too want community...but on my terms.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

LEE! HELP! My son just called me PEGGY HILL! I could not believe it. How do I turn his comment around and convince myself he meant it as a compliment? I need some KOTH advice!

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home