Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Don't Be an Ass

assumption: A statement accepted or supposed true without proof or demonstration.

How does the world view your witness? Is the image that you would suppose to portray the same as the one that the world sees? How do you know for sure?

I was liberated a few weeks ago. I've always had this grand idea as to how people saw me in action at work in the world, but lately I'd been seriously burdened as to whether my self-perception was one based in reality or one as fantasy filled as a certain amusement park in Orlando. After all, I've read all the latest books on evangelism and seen the current statistics compiled by Barna, but where the rubber hits the road for me is how I'm actually seen & portrayed by the world in which I live.

You ready for the secret to my liberation? Are you ready to really know if your witness is truly salty and light-bearing? Do you honestly want to know what the world thinks of you and your faith?

Then do what I did, ask them. I grew tired of wondering if people saw the joy that is the well-spring of my love affair with the Son of the Living God. So I gathered several of my co-workers who see me at my absolute worst and asked them what they thought of me and my portrayal of Christianity.

The answers set me free, but I must warn you to be prepared for what you may not want to hear. I still see no other way of a fair self-assessment, so for Truth seekers, this should be a must. Prepare yourselves to be freed!

Then you will experience for yourselves the truth, and the truth will free you.

4 Comments:

Blogger New Life said...

Hey bro,

I went through this a few years ago. Did my co-workers see me having hope in the midst of intense trying times? Did they see me dealing fairly and justly within a very competitive environment? How did my faith intersect with the way I lived my life and what I viewed as important?

I had a few people say to me that they really appreciated my faith because it wasn't something that I tried to sell them, but that it was something I lived. Not so they would be influenced by my life and think good thoughts about Jesus, but that they would see that my life has meaning outside of making money. That something gave me peace. I never had to "act" like a Christian "should" act. I lived my life and attempted to be "real" and transparent. I was amazed that other noticed. They were watching when I wasn't aware; not for what I said or how I acted as much as how I lived and trusted God. IN other words, they saw someone who had the same struggles and life situations as they but that something deeper sustained me. Thanks for the post. Good stuff.

10:18 AM  
Blogger jimmy said...

You actually ASKED THEM?!?!?!? You're frickin' crazy man!

2:03 AM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

It took guts to ask your co-workers a question that was bound to reveal something at least a tiny bit unpleasant to here....my hat is off to you.

About the ass thing...that was the cutest ass I've ever seen :)

Did you take the photo?

10:05 PM  
Blogger lee said...

i didn't take the photo...

i just ripped it from the net...

having trouble w/my dig camera & all...

i don't think i'd know of any asses that i could take a pic of to upload anyways...

any volunteers?

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home