Monday, April 04, 2005

Take the 8

I've heard/seen a lot of stuff lately that makes me cringe, but maybe not for the reasons that you'd think. It's all too easy to fall into the trap. To be floored by what you never saw coming is practically inevitability, but to me, it's more important what you do from there. Do you lay on the mat to be counted out or do you stagger to your feet, take the standing 8 count, regain your senses, learn from your mistakes & vow to give it another go?

This has to be the way. Anything else is cowardice. Plain & simple.

7This is scary: You can tame a tiger, 8but you can't tame a tongue--it's never been done. The tongue runs wild, a wanton killer. 9With our tongues we bless God our Father; with the same tongues we curse the very men and women he made in his image.

James 3:7-9

Does this really surprise anyone? This is not to be used as an excuse, but I would hope that it might bring a little perspective. We're asked to do the impossible, which should point the way to our dependence on Christ all the more.

I often desire a more constructive approach to dialogue, but am realistic in knowing that this doesn't always happen. I pray for patience & understanding in my interactions with my brothers & sisters. The impossibility of the matter doesn't discourage me from the course, but challenges me to be less of myself than ever.

I would that no one temper their passion or refrain from speaking frankly. The last thing we need as a body is to digress in discontent from the attempts to dialogue. We've suffered from muted sin long enough. I would rather progress at the expense of offense, than to atrophy in silence.

Everyone has been wounded in some way, shape or form in the past. If we would but continue to examine and deal with our past mistakes in pontification & learn from them as Christ leads towards the most excellent way, how can we consider otherwise? To withdraw in silence at this point would be criminal.

Take the 8...

listen...

learn...

grow...

I know I have.


2 Comments:

Blogger Remnant Sons MC said...

you calling me scared?

2:00 PM  
Blogger lee said...

hell, man...

everybody knows you're yella'...

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home