Thursday, March 24, 2005

2 beers

I was a frat boy in college majoring in beer when I first met Chuck. He was pylortes for the ey chapter of TKE's @ Northwestern State U. A fairly private guy, but 1 that was willing to let you in if you wanted. Since our job as plebs was to get the sig of every active on our leather, we naturally all wanted.

Chuck was elusive tho. He would never sign on your 1st request, but instead left you with something to scratch your head & spark your interest. He'd tease at 1st by taking the leather, as if to sign, but would rather flip it over & write "2 beers" on the back.

2 beers?

What in the hell's that supposed to mean?

Chuck would just grin & walk away. After he'd let you wiggle for a bit he'd finally relent & let you in on the plan. He spoke in shadows, making it necessary to lean in tight, just so you could have a chance to hear what came next.

We'll talk tonite...bring 2 beers.

I still didn't get it. I thought I did, but I was wrong. At first I thought that this was just another active ploy to make our life's hell or better yet, Chuck just counted the plebs & knew that this was just an easy way to restock his cooler, 2 beers @ a time.

So there I stood. 2 beers in hand. 1 more sig to be attained, bringing me that much closer to initiation, becoming an active & best of all, the end of this very literal pleb hell.

I won't lie & say that I remember the dialogue, the day or the hour. Matter of fact, I don't remember anything about the encounter at all. Time has seen fit to erode away all of that shore, but I will tell you what I do remember & what makes me write.

Communion.

Pure & simple.

Turns out the beers were for us to share, but that wasn't the only ingestion. We left the pretenses of position behind & spoke without inhibition as we got to know each other. Chuck simply wanted to know me, the real me & hopefully the real reasons that I wanted to be a TKE. I didn't get it then, but just as obvious as the lines on this screen, I do now.

This leads me here, to which begs this question.

If I've got so many brothers, which I do, why don't I know them as well as my heart longs to? Why the awkward fumblings & lack of relevant dialogue? Why all the mental gymnastics of trying to say something clever, yet w/spiritual application in regards to every subject? Or better yet, why the total disregard of the Spirit's call to model something God's way, by transformational thinking, that could make it possible for less unseen snares for the 1's that follow?





I've got a crazy idea for a Christian drinking club. It harkens back to the olden days when men went to the pub to lift a few ales & speak of theology. It's not about thumbing our nose @ the devil by imbibing his products, but simply reclaiming something for God that was unduly abandoned.

I've heard moderation preached, but I don't know if I can honestly say that I've seen it practiced. Imagine the impact that this could have. It would take some time & doing, but I can't help but get excited over the possibilities.

I know some will scream, but I can't help but think that they're merely reacting as those disposed of power by the revealing of their piosity. This weren't the 1st & won't be the last. When the cost of their sacrifice by abstinence is tallied, will they find it equal to the price of the property, or will they lay with Ananias & Sapphira?

I personally don't care. I want to do what's right. I want to model Authenticity for my kids by the pleasing of my Lord.

I don't care to give life to imaginary beings fat on Corinthian meat by my abstaining. My heart tells me that this is luke warm. This denies the powerful stripes that bought my Health.

Of course, there'll be a 2 drink maximum. Sounds a bit legalistic, but we've got to start somewhere. I've tried to come up with a catchy name too, 'cause that seems to be the trend.

Maybe something like Bible, brats & buds or He-Brews or...hmmm, maybe 2 beers would do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Remnant Sons MC said...

I will send you a resume. I want to be the bartender.

2 beers. I dig that.

the whole idea has been a conversation I have had with a brother here.

the funny thing is the analocity other family members have over this, yet are so willing to wear the robe of the religious.


rock on bro. all the notes yo hit resonate in my soul.

5:12 PM  
Blogger jimmy said...

my vote goes to "He-brews".... Oh man that's awesome. I have a few buddies that get together with me and we brew our own beer and talk about life, marriage, kids, career, God.... pretty much everything. I'm tempted to list it on the church bulletin as a "home group".

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home