Monday, March 28, 2005

The Ultimate Bachelor

I usually don't watch the stuff. I normally either end up sacking out on the couch with Cam or retiring to another room to read. Not tonight. Tonight I watched.

For those of you who don't know it, my wife is a reality tv junkie. She can't get enough of that crap. I could normally care less about it. As she watched tonight's episode of The Bachelor, I sat in amazement. The amazement to see the depths that some would go to to advance or achieve or win or whatever their end goal is. There were no lines that they wouldn't cross, nor punches that they would pull in this all out race for the attention of this moron.



As the show ended, I sat dejected as I knew that I'd never get that hour back. I think that I even have digressed as a human being for being privy to the whole train wreck. I thought about even having to pray for forgiveness for my backsliding. That was until I had this thought.

It seems to me that The Bachelor may have a lot to say about religion and our seeking for God. The whole human exsistence usually ends up boiling down to man seeking something greater than himself. Religion wants to tell us that its found it. The it is the Ultimate Bachelor.

The rest of the show (life), is then spent in seeking the favor of this Ultimate Bachelor. Some would do this at the expense of all others. The Baptist think they're better looking than the Catholics, the Catholics think that they're personality is better than the Methodist, the Methodist think that they're a better match with the UB than the Lutherans, and on, and on, and on into infinity.

We then spend the rest of the show jockeying for position with the UB by trying to elbow out the others, slamming their character or doing just whatever it takes to get them out of the picture. The tricky thing on this show is that it's not as blatantly obvious & it is a much more subversive thing because we always do or say these things under the pretenses of 'love'.

The thing that blows my mind is that this is not reality tv & as a matter of fact this is not even reality. All who belong to the UB will get their rose. There are none that will be left out, unless they never knew Him to begin with. Unfortunately, at that great rose ceremony there will be some to which He will say to depart, for 'I never knew you'.

So guys, please, please, if you know the UB you've got your rose! Chill! Let's get concerned with those who don't. Let's show that we know Him by reaching down for those that don't. The Rose of Sharon is the only one of worth.

2 Comments:

Blogger New Life said...

Funny, the same thing happened to me. I walked in about 30 minutes into the show and was stunned by the "train-wreck"--how sad. You are right, we bring the same sick,distorted behaviors into the church.

Look at it this way, at least tonight we have something wholesome and real called American Idol.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop talking about tv so much...its destroying your family...can't you see that God is weeping right now...so many distorted views of the Bible...I say you love the darkness, and we won't mention my half-light...LOUD NOISES!!!...I must go, I have more ignorance to spit...What can I say to Jeff???

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home