Saturday, March 19, 2005

Thanks Boss

I'm fresh off of watching the broadcast of u2 getting inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame & thought that I'd like to preserve the following before I went to bed. It's some things that the Boss said in his induction speech for the boys & it's resonated within me ever since. These lines were recited along with all the usual accolades that you'd come to expect at such a ceremony, but these continue to stand out.


Some of the lines that Bruce used made me jealous and wish that 1 could/would say the same of my life 1 day. They're application is music, but we mustn't loose site to the audiences that we play in front of everyday. I know for myself that I've been blessed to play some gigs that Bono & the rest will never get to. My medium just so happens to be playing drug dealer over nite at the local hospital.

Then I'm alone to think...could/would the same be said about me & my application/medium?

A great rock band searches for the same kind of combustible force that fueled the expansion of the universe after the big bang. You want the earth to shake and spit fire, you want the sky to split apart and for God to pour out. It’s embarrassing to want so much and to expect so much from music, except sometimes it happens...

U2, with the dark, chiming sound of heaven at their command which, of course, is the sound of unrequited love and longing -- their greatest theme. Their search for God intact, this was a band that wanted to lay claim to not only this world but had their eyes on the next one, too.

We are creations of the heart and of the earth and of the stations of the cross. There's no getting out of it. He is gifted with an operatic voice and a beautiful falsetto rare among strong rock singers. But most important, his is a voice shot through with self-doubt. That's what makes that big sound work. It is this element of Bono's talent, along with his beautiful lyric writing, that gives the often-celestial music of U2 its fragility and its realness. It is the questioning, the constant questioning in Bono's voice, where the band stakes its claim to its humanity and declares its commonality with us. Now Bono’s voice often sounds like it's shouting not over top of the band but from deep within it: "Here we are, Lord, this mess, in your image." He delivers all of this with great drama and an occasional smirk that says, “Kiss me, I’m Irish.” He’s one of the great front-men of the past 20 years. He is also one of the only musicians to devote his personal faith and the ideals of his band into the real world in a way that remains true to rock's earliest implications of freedom and connection and the possibility of something better.

Now the band's beautiful songwriting -- "Pride (In The Name of Love)," "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For," "One," "Where the Streets Have No Name," "Beautiful Day" -- reminds us of the stakes that the band always plays for. It's an incredible songbook. In their music, you hear the spirituality as home and as quest. How do you find God unless he's in your heart, in your desire, in your feet?

May we all be reminded of the stakes that we play for. I long for the sound of my life to resonate to others as spirituality as home and as quest. May He be pleased with this mess that is my life as I strife to live it as His own image.

Thanks Boss...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home