Friday, February 04, 2005

Criminal Dignity

At this moment, I can think of nothing more embarrassing. This isn't supposed to happen to my kids. My clean, little, pure, innocent ones weren't destined for this. I mean, they're MY KIDS!! What the hell is wrong with this world? I even hesitate to type the rest of this post.

We first noticed them on Wednesday at the grocery store. Just an anomaly I told myself. Surely this couldn't be what my head was trying to tell my heart that it was. Not my little P girl.

But it was.

Lice.

We treated her that afternoon and went about all the steps to secure our home and our heads from the nast vermin, hell-bent on destroying our dignity as well as our pride. Loads of fun, if you've never had the pleasure. If you have, you know what I'm talking about and if you've yet to know the joy, consider yourself blessed.

Today was harder than the first. I had to go to the pre-school director and confess our uncleanliness. I would've felt better if I'd tried to eat my hat instead. It didn't help matters when she told me ours was their first case in the 7 years that the school had been in existence.

This too shall pass, but I can't help but think that our little problem here at home isn't indicative of a much greater problem. A problem of infestation. A problem that rots and kills from within.

Our father Adam was the first. I'm but another in a long line of carriers. They knit themselves together, attaching to my scalp and feast on my very blood, draining my will to carry on and to even live.

Good news is that I've found the cure.

Bad news is that it's effectiveness isn't fully realized on this side.

No matter how efficient I become at attacking and destroying the little critters, a remnant always remains and it isn't long before I'm scratching again. I comb and comb, but some knits continue to remain. This battle seems winnable by my own hands, but is merely an illusion.

The worst part is that my infestation drives me to secrecy. Instead of sharing the knowledge of an infected head to help others get the attention they need, I hide away. My pride doesn't allow me to divulge the very information that could save another who's supposed to be my brother. My dignity proves criminal when it prevents my aiding another that would benefit from my being stripped bare.

I want you to see the lice in my life. I don't want for you to have to suffer unnecessarily. Isn't it about time?

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

May God condemn me if I ever doubt your ability to obtain something Biblical from the most mundane things imaginable. You are a crazy, twisted man, of which I'm proud to call my friend... no matter how much you've caused me to give up my convictions in order to be more relevant. I'm having a ball.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Remnant Sons MC said...

good words Lee.
embarassment and the unwillingness to face our need, as well as our inability to "cleanse" ourselves keeps so many from true authenticity. properness and elitis attitudes have swarmed the institution and we want relief from life, not Jesus.

as far as the kids...welcome to that. I am starting to really dig the way you think.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home