Sunday, December 19, 2004

Country + Rap = Crap?

I was oh so close to turning the channel on the radio. A song started to play that is comprised of 2 very different artists of 2 very different genres of which I like or listen to neither. Amy said that she hadn't heard it and expressed interest, so I relented.

I let the song play and a very strange thing happened. As I listened to the lyrics of a broken man who just can't stop loving the one who's leaving him it happened. This was the very epitome of our conversation this morning of culling truth from culture regardless of where it is found.

We had just left bible study where we were putting the finishing touches on the minor prophets of the Old Testament, and as this song played the words of Hosea resonated in my soul. This man of God was called to marry a whore and serve as a very practical example of God and his relentless pursuit of us. Regardless of how we leave Him, He 'just can't stop loving' us.

He loves us when we love Him and He still loves us when we don't. He loves us for eternity when we accept Him into our lives and He still loves us when we reject Him. Sadly for us though, He loves us so much that He honors our request in continuing our desires to live without Him throughout eternity.

I'm left wondering about Him and His boundless, unconditional love. If He is love and is unlimited in this regard, is He capable of an unlimited amount of grief? It would almost seem so, due to how we often walk out on Him.

I'm so glad that I listened and didn't turn the radio this nite. I found the God that I wasn't looking for, but who loves me beyond my own belief. He loves me over and over again and I just can't take it, I just can't shake it, no...

4 Comments:

Blogger New Life said...

Hey bro,

I laughed out loud on your post title. That is classic!

You are a great writer and I love the depth that you go into your soul. Yes, I once heard it put this way, "God loves us with a love that we did not earn and can never lose."

od's peace, my friend.

Rick

10:30 AM  
Blogger Cam @ArcadiaTrails said...

Kid Rock rocks. Sheryl Crow sucks. Was it them???? Just a guess.

1:16 PM  
Blogger lee said...

For those wondering, this post is in reference to the latest masterpiece served up by the collaberative efforts of musical geniuses Nelly & Tim Mcgraw. I'm almost embarassed to recognize the existence of this 'work' by posting about it...

8:31 PM  
Blogger Cam @ArcadiaTrails said...

Oh...uh...must've missed that one.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home