Thursday, December 09, 2004

WARNING: Offensive Material

Do maturity and humility go hand in hand or are they mutually exclusive? Have you ever thought about it? Do you even care to now?

I must still be yearning to be breast fed, because I never have equated the depth of my relationship or spirituality with the ability to be offended by seemingly or quite obviously worldly things. Does this mean that I'm oblivious to things that should be offensive...NO, definitely not. I would just like for it to mean that I'm willingly to endure unpleasantness to be able to identify with a culture.

Does this make me a sell out? Nope! It makes me a willing ambassador for the One who endured much on my behalf. I take great interest in these things so that I may be better equipped to contextualize a gospel message that is tethered in the rock solid foundation of absolute truth.

I can't erase from my mind the Falling Up interview where Tom proclaimed that as christians we are to overlook offenses. Do you think you can effectively witness to someone who you view as offensive? Well, I hate to tell you this news flash, but you'd be wrong...dead wrong. You willing to risk that? You might when you consider that it's not your death.

Christ died to cleanse us from these offenses as well as the offenders. He endured much to redeem what you consider offensive. Don't strife to be more spiritual than the Savior. He endured much for that offense too.

1 Comments:

Blogger New Life said...

You are the man. Great stuff as usual.

I like you style so much I always get at big smile from your posts because you go to the depths of our being... raw. I love it.

Peace,
Rick

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home