Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Wasting Away in Ivanville

Seems like it's been forever since I've had the chance to do this. I guess our unexpected little visitor from the sea caused more than just physical havoc on my life and the way I live it. I've got tons that I've been reflecting on and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to remember it all and eventually get it to the small screen you see before you.
I got to eat my first MRE today and thought that it was a pretty cool experience. My mind had me hunkered down in the blistering deserts of a far off land instead of the comfort of an air conditioned pharmacy in a wind ravaged Pensacola. As I downed the rubbery burrito that is meal #12, I tried to imagine what it's like to stare down the barrel of a rifle and squeeze the trigger as someone drops on the other end. I thought about the recent talks of spiritual warfare and all the illustrations of being in God's army. I would have to agree with the fact that we have to be cognizant of the unseen battle, but I still don't know if all the verbiage used is appropriate or not. I mainly reflect on the speak in light of true evangelism and our life's being lived as open letters and living sacrifices.
Is the battle won with the conventional sword in it's original form or from one that has been rent into a plowshare? Are we able to effectively communicate a message of love, forgiveness and redemption with a rousing pep talk comprised of all the military imagery and engaging the enemy or by one that speaks of turning cheeks and feeding sheep? We like Peter, the original Rock, want to take action, wield our sword and chop off a few ears, but was that the right thing then and is it anymore or less right now?
I used to joke about being a lover and not a fighter, but maybe I should have been saying that I'm a farmer and not a fighter. Sure sounds right to me, but can I keep the MRE's?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home