Thursday, August 18, 2005

Words are things...

The text has always been there. It has to have been, for I've spent more time than I'd like to admit under it's weight. Seeing it in the black of print in contrast to nice tan stock does nothing but confirm the obvious as one would blame his burn to a strange orb hanging aloft that he likens to call the sun.

The judge smiled. It is not necessary, he said, that the principals here be in possession of the facts concerning their case, for their acts will ultimately accommodate history with or without their understanding. But it is consistent with notions of right principle that these facts--to the extent that they can be readily made to do so--should find a repository in the witness of some third party. Sergeant Aguilar is just such a party and any slight to his office is but a secondary consideration when compared to divergences in that larger protocol exacted by the formal agenda of an absolute destiny. Words are things. The words he is in possession of he cannot be deprived of. Their authority transcends his ignorance of their meaning.

Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West
Cormac Mccarthy


I struggle daily with what gospel truth means to me in my goings & comings in the world in which I live. Should I have...or could I have...or why did I or didn't I do/say/whatever...

The answer remains...only the questions seem elusive.

Like nailing jello to a tree...

The only thing I can gladly say is that I'm in possession of the words and cannot be deprived of them. Beyond this I know not much else. Thankfully their authority transcends my ignorance...

Words are things...

3 Comments:

Blogger New Life said...

Hey brother, nice post. You have a way with "words". I miss you man. I hope all is well in your world. We moved into a new house and I went back east for a visit.

How's the Moltmann? :)

Anyhow, just checking in on you. Love to the family!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

Wish I had something profound to post here, but I'm really just wondering if the new baby has arrived yet?

11:30 PM  
Blogger lee said...

Rick-

All is well here in hurricane alley...congrats on the move & hope your trip back east went well...

moltmann has possessed my being & am afraid has permanent residence...it's a good thing of course...thanks again!

Barbara-

Lani Jayce is due here 9/22, but I'm hoping that she'll wait 3-4 more days, cause that's when I would work off my regular shift & I could take the next 5 weeks off to be w/her & the rest of my crew...

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home