Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Luke & Hank...1 last thought

I know that most folks may find that it's a stretch to see the gospel in star wars or king of the hill, but I can't help but think otherwise. After all...the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! If He can express truth through nature and His created things, why not Luke or Hank? I'm certainly not for substituting cultural parallels for biblical truth, but if my 5 year old shows interest and I can relate it to ultimate Truth, you can bet your ass that I'm all over that.

The question has risen whether or not the intent is there on behalf of the earthly creator involved with these stories. I'm of the nature that it doesn't even matter. The point is that these stories appeal to something deep within ourselves because they transcend myth & lore and resonate with the yearning for Truth that's He's set within all of us.

Tolkien called this connection to ultimate truth and it's telling through parallel tales evangelium. It seems to hallow these stories from within and I firmly believe that they can be used if we so choose. Our Master found worth in the art of parable, maybe we should too.

3 Comments:

Blogger New Life said...

Reminds me of scripture. God eners the story of humanity. The scripes working under David were not wrting "scripture" for us to read 3,000 years later in the USA. They were telling their story to a particular group of people with a particular agenda-- mostly political.

The incarnation would suggest that GOd is ever present and enter the "stories" of our lives.

So, Luke and Hank works. :)

Great post.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Remnant Sons MC said...

here here!
nice post. funny how I have thought about certain things as such...the matrix (post modern gospel), the village (the american church), Signs (calvinism), and the Godfather (no reference to the gospel, just my favorite movie).

great job on reminding me about the permeated truth.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

for reals dude. now I want to pick up Walden.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home